Performance tuning the Fedora Desktop

rada and gus rada_anr at sancharnet.in
Sat May 8 09:10:43 UTC 2004

Open office takes an inordinately long time to open.  The  opening speed
has not improved significantly as far as I can tell since RH 8 through
RH9 and  FC-1.

Mozilla mail and Evolution take quite a bit longer to open than kmail
which is fast, but Mozilla and Evolution have more functionality.

I use kdm as the display manager and kde as desktop.  I have not tired
with gdm or gnome.

I did not use any tools to measure the performance, this is just my
gestalt impression.

Gus