Performance tuning the Fedora Desktop

Will Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Thu May 13 13:22:51 UTC 2004

John Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 17:57 -0400, Will Cohen wrote:
>
> Lots of very encouraging stuff.  Thanks Will. :-)
>

>>METRICS
>>
>>Unfortunately, many people's metrics for desktop applications were
>>literally eyeballed, click a menu item see how long it takes for the
>>result to occur. This is difficult to automate and script.  We really
>

> A small comment: the only really meaningful metric from the user's point
> of view is "does it take too long?".  This is a binary variable.  It is
> of course totally subjective, but _that is the point_ --- "objective"
> considerations are not meaningful to users.
 >
> What I am trying to say is that (I humbly suggest) you face two
> problems: first finding the most pressing problems; and then fixing
> them.  Objective metrics help with the second, but not the first.

True users only cares about "does it take too long?" However, developers
need to know why it takes too long. There are a lot of possible causes.
  Just telling the developers this is too slow will point out the
problem but does suggest any fixes to correct the problem. The metrics
were for the benefit of the developers. Reading though my write up again
I realize that I don't really have timing listed clearly as a metric. I
will make sure that is explicit in the revision. Wall clock time is what
we are trying to reduce.

Thanks for the comments.

-Will