Performance tuning the Fedora Desktop

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu May 13 13:24:21 UTC 2004

Panu Matilainen wrote:

> I recently ran a couple of tests (which is why I noticed the xterm mark),
> just a relatively noisy rpmbuild of an application. On my IBM T40 the
> build times on otherwise idle box, and completely reproducable, give or
> take couple of seconds:
> xterm:		~1m 20s
> gnome-terminal: ~1m 40s
> konsole:	~1m 40s
>
> Building on a virtual console, redirecting output to /dev/null or a file
> were basically ~1:20 all. That's an awfully lot of time wasted waiting for
> software to build which lot of us do all the time :-/
>
> For cat it's much more dramatic (obviously):
> time cat /usr/share/mime-info/gnome-vfs.keys on
> virtual console:~0.5s
> xterm:		~3.5s
> gnome-terminal:	~6.5s
> konsole:	~10.5s (not only is it slow but also corrupts the
> 		terminal leaving garbage on screen)
>
> Tests done on RHL 9'ish box, FWIW.
>
> 	- Panu -

In FC2 things have changed for the worse for gnome-terminal performance,
where it has become far worse than both konsole and xterm.  A GNOME
developer explained to me that was the trade-off necessary in making
gnome-terminal able to display unicode characters with pango.  I do
admit it is nice to have that ability, and it is awesome to see CJK
characters working in gnome-terminal, but at the same time I wish it
were faster.

Very often I am forced to minimize my gnome-terminal sessions in order
to prevent 100% CPU usage while using remote ssh sessions or building
something locally.  The bottleneck is always my terminal CPU usage. =(

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com