gnome-terminal benchmark

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri May 28 13:52:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 09:16:18AM -0400, Will Cohen wrote:
> Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> >On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 04:21:38PM -0400, Will Cohen wrote:
> >
> >># The actual benchmark being timed is below.
> >>/usr/bin/time /bin/cat `pwd`/jarg422.txt 2>> $RESULTS_FILE
> >

> >You're profiling cat under gnome-terminal, not gnome-terminal + cat.
> >
> >Wouldn't be better to run instead:
> >/usr/bin/time gnome-terminal -x cat $PWD/jarg422.txt
>
> You are correct that this also includes the time for the cat. I tried
> that earlier there are comments on that in the procedure.

I have no problem with cat being included in the calculated time. It
shouldn't consume much.

> The net result
> with the suggested change on gnome-terminal is that you get the amount
> of time it takes to fire off the command to the gnome-terminal server,
> not the amount of time to complete the task. The /usr/bin/time will
> finish long before the cat is actually done.

Oh, yes, I forgot. I usually run gnome-terminal with the options
--disable-factory --sm-disable. They should prevent the use of a
gnome-terminal server, giving more meaningful results.

> Doing something like that
> on xterm you will get gnome-terminal + cat time.
>
> The goal of the benchmark was to make something that could provide some
> indication about the amount of time required to push a lot of text to a
> terminal window, exercise some of the gnome-terminal code, be reasonably
> easy to run, and have some chance at being repeatable. That the
> exeperiment includes time for cat is not that big an issue, so long the
> amount of time for cat stays the same and cat times don't totally
> dominate the time. If you have oprofile setup and run the benchmark with
> "--profile" you can see that xterm dominates the cpu by a large margin,
> about 75% of the samples.

I wasn't sure about oprofile also recording other applications. Guess I
should read a good documentation about it.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha