Desktop application start up indicators

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sun May 30 14:45:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 05:21, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> 	I'm not sure there is a reliable way to detect when an application has
> finished startup. Perhaps the first time the main loop goes idle would
> be a good indicator but I think you have difficulty distinguishing
> between that case and the case of the app blocking on the result of a
> CORBA call.

For nmany applications, a pretty good good (intrusive) way to figure out
when the app is up on the screen and painted is to put
a g_idle_add() into an expose handler; applications will typically
handle all exposes before going idle again.

> 	To give you an idea of where a GNOME application starting up spends its
> time see this:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-April/msg00360.html
>
> 	The only things really specific to the panel in this is the loading of
> main menu and applets/launchers.

I believe this is 'strace -tt' measurement? My experience is that that
can be quite distorting because it greatly magnifies the per-syscall
overhead.

Regards,
					Owen