Desktop application start up indicators

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Sun May 30 16:08:27 UTC 2004

Hi Owen,

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 15:45, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 05:21, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > 	To give you an idea of where a GNOME application starting up spends its
> > time see this:
> >
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-April/msg00360.html
> >
> > 	The only things really specific to the panel in this is the loading of
> > main menu and applets/launchers.
>
> I believe this is 'strace -tt' measurement? My experience is that that
> can be quite distorting because it greatly magnifies the per-syscall
> overhead.

	Yeah, you mentioned :/ I only thought it would be of interest to Will
as "here's the types of things GNOME apps are doing on startup" rather
than "here's how a GNOME apps startup time is split".

	I'd really love a way of doing this kind of a wall-clock breakdown of
application startup time *without* such distortion ...

Cheers,
Mark.