sound subsystem

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Mon May 31 19:10:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 23:36, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Well.... ALSA by default only lets multiple apps output *up to the
> > number of HW channels the card has*.
>
> I've been told that all interesting cards have at least 2 channels
> (maybe more?)

Guess that needs configuration too.  Right now I'm using ALSA on
my laptop, don't know how many channels, but only one application
can play, and the other sounds are *queued* until the current one
stops.

> > Doing more requires configuration.
>
> Configuration we can do by default?

A couple of months back I configured an ALSA mixer, but after a
few seconds of playback, it used to get stuck for no reason.  Of
course it may have been fixed by now.  And oh, it needs
applications being configured to use that software mixer device
instead of default ALSA device for playback (xmms, gaim, etc).

> Havoc

--behdad
  behdad.org