Faster login

Ken Crandall crandall at redhat.com
Mon Nov 15 17:07:11 UTC 2004

> If you're *really* bored, you can pop up the old-school MacOS icons
> for each service. But the rhgb-style 'randomly increment the progress
> bar at predefined services X, Y, and Z has got to go.'

This actually has lots of merits.  If we put icons up for each service
we started, this could start during the GDM login (across the bottom,
lets say) and if the user logs-in before we're done starting services,
the icons could be preserved and continued during the session init
screen (where there are icons going across the bottom of the GNOME/KDE
login banners) and the only "wait" point would be until the session init
is done.

That way you could have "needs attention" GUI items run/addressed first-
thing.

Ken

--
Ken Crandall <crandall at redhat.com>