Faster login

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Mon Nov 15 21:07:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:58:15 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Well, it's an obvious time savings point that starting the X server
> once is faster than starting the X server, killing it, and starting
> it again. It's just a matter of how much... :)

This is one of the things I always hated about rhgb the most (still used
it though ;)

The nVidia binary drivers take ages to initialize, as in 5+ seconds on my
system: doing this twice just felt incredibly wasteful and definitely
slowed things down.

Of course, starting services I don't need/want like cups doesn't help
either ...