After a week with FC3

Jeremy Rosengren jeremy.rosengren at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 07:48:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:55:46 +0100, tony <tony at tgds.net> wrote:
> To get VMware installed I had to jump through hoops to install the
> kernel source. OK this won't bug the average Joe but there are people
> who have been using a Linux desktop since 1997... Read: some of us have
> legacy apps...

If you're running VMware 4.5.2 (which you should be on recent versions
of Fedora with 2.6.x kernels) you do not need the kernel source to
either install VMware or compile the VMware modules after
installation.  You *do* need to satisfy some extra steps for Fedora
Core 3 because the VMware installer doesn't understand udev, which I
hear will be addressed in VMware 5 (currently in beta).

-- jeremy