FC3 background

Tammy Fox tfox at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 19:51:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 15:16 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:17:40 -0500, jck <jensknutson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > What's wrong with the default background being used in FC3-test3?
>
> What's wrong with asking community to be invovled? I think its a bit
> late to ask for submission for fc3 and be able to take full advantage
> of community interest, but I like the idea of Red Hat as the managing
> entity for Fedora asking for and encouraging community input. I would
> have liked to see more specific guidance than the annoucement here but
> its a start.
>
> In the FC4 future, I would hope that for any call for artwork
> submission from community will come earlier into the testing process
> and would be much more widely communicated than just the desktop list.
> I would also like to see it approached more as a competition with
> submission deadlines and some clear guidance as to theme and style.
>
> If I had managerial control, I'd would organize it as a competition
> with small group (even as small as one person) of experts who would
> choose a small number of finalist submissions that would all be
> acceptible as a background to include in Core.  I would have the small
> expert group select one "winner" out of the finalist to be the default
> background for fc4, and then i would open up a public poll of the
> remaining finalist submissions to select a "people's choice" winning
> background to be included but not be the default background. I would
> then archive the remaining finalist submissions into an online gallery
> in the fedora project webspace. I would attempt to repeat the same
> sort of process with each core release. Swapping out a couple of
> backgrounds each release and archiving them in the online gallery
> location, to make room for the 2 new backgrounds. One judge's choice
> as the default, and one people's choice as an alternative.
>
> -jef

Please keep in mind that Diana was just hired to replace Garrett, so she
is joining the FC3 release rather late in the game. I think it is great
that she has jumped in so fast and already started thinking about more
community participation. I'm sure as she goes through a release or two
she will learn to ask more specific questions.

Tammy