User space filesharing

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 9 15:38:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 11:31 -0400, Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 17:01 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure why it didn't work on the other machine. Did it have
> > nautilus 2.7, and howl installed and mDNSResponder running? Seems to be
> > a problem with rendezvous. Maybe a firewall issue?
> >
> > I'm not sure why installing schemas doesn't trigger reloading them in an
> > already running gconfd. I've seen it happen for other packages, so its a
> > general problem. But it matters little in this case, just set the key to
> > true.
>
> I set it up on two systems. They each can see themselves but not each
> other. Both are up to date rawhide systems. Both can see other
> rendezvous broadcasting network services (the same two ftp servers).
> There is no firewall between them (same subnet) and no local firewalls
> running.

Bizzare. I have no idea why this is happening. It seems like publishing
from the rawhide machine on non-loopback isn't working. It smells like a
firewall or something blocking the outgoing mDNS publishing traffic.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scarfaced crooked cop with a mysterious suitcase handcuffed to his arm.
She's a strong-willed wisecracking advertising executive from a different time
and place. They fight crime!