GNOME Menu Editing

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Sep 9 21:51:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 20:20 -0400, Paul Vandenberg wrote:
> As far as I know, it was Red Hat that disabled it, not GNOME. In fact,
> I read that the menu editing was improved in the upcoming GNOME 2.8. I
> was hoping that this would make Red Hat (Fedora) turn it back on
> again. It is frustrating that repeated calls for menu editing are
> falling on deaf ears! If Mandrake wasn't a GNOME release behind, I
> would consider switching.

Pretty sure the upstream GNOME improvement was Mark and Dan's work to go
to the new menu format. We prioritized that ahead of writing the editor,
since we'd have to go back and write the editor again otherwise. Plus,
the new format is a fair bit more human-editable. Or at least, a fair
bit more documented.

But yeah, menu editor is on our list but not the highest priority. Our
largest focuses for desktop are 1) to get rid of any need to use the
command line, specifically for hardware, e.g. NetworkManager and 2)
enterprise management and security stuff like kerberos and remote
desktop sharing and so forth.

Havoc