default fonts

Richard Li richardl at redhat.com
Wed Sep 22 13:57:43 UTC 2004

This morning I decided to experiment with the fonts on my FC2 laptop. A
few minutes later, Thunderbird, Firefox, and my desktop look immensely
better by simply switching to Bitstream Vera. Now, I don't want to start
a which-font-looks-better-war, but the default of the generic "Sans" and
"Sans Serif" fonts are pretty terrible and I think that there is no
question that the defaults could be changed to something better.

I had to change the default fonts in three places:

o Thunderbird
o Firefox
o Preferences/Fonts in GNOME

Is it possible to change the defaults for these apps?

I searched through the archives and there has been some discussion,
although it seemed to center around which font looks best:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2003-December/msg00055.html

Honestly, I don't care, as long as it isn't Sans and Sans Serif ;-).

Thoughts?

Richard