wall-messages and desktops

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Sep 22 14:39:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 16:47, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> D-BUS could certainly be used to fix it, yes. You have to write two
> pieces, one piece runs systemwide and forwards wall messages over D-BUS;
> one piece runs in the user session and displays any such messages.

...which sounds like yet-another-daemon (or two) ... like we didn't have
enough of 'em already :-/

Hmm.. dbus-0.21 changelog says "implement "auto activation" flag on
messages, so the destination service can be launched automatically"
which, if it means what I think, is exactly what I was hoping for: the
ability to register a program for given type of messages which then do
stuff with the information received from the bus. So you don't need a
separate user daemon for each and every thing that you might want to
communicate across dbus - or did I completely misunderstand that?

	- Panu -