Unfocused Nautilus Selection Color with Bluecurve

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Sun Sep 26 23:16:23 UTC 2004

I've occasionally run into a situation where I mistake an unfocused
Nautilus window in the background as the focused foreground window. The
window title bar with Bluecurve makes a strong distinction between
focused and unfocused windows, which is great.

However, if you have icons selected in the *unfocused* window, you may
notice that the unfocused icon selection color (that masks the icons,
and becomes the background color of the icon title text) is very close
to the icon selection color in *focused* windows.

The two colors are different, but not by much. I would like to suggest
making the unfocused icon selection color more significantly different
than the focused icon selection color. Perhaps a bit lighter, and gray
instead of blue (like the window title bar change).

I've put together a screenshot illustrating focused and unfocused
Nautilus windows and example swatches of the two colors in question:
http://actsofvolition.com/images/screenshots/bluecurve-selection-focus.png

I haven't worked on Gnome themes before, but some help and digging
around turned up that this color is easy to change. In my Fedora Core 2
install, the color is on line #36 of the file
/usr/share/themes/Bluecurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

I'm experimenting using a gray color (#b5b5b5) for a few days on my own
machine.

Depending on feedback to this post (welcome and encouraged), I'll file a
bug (and maybe a patch).

Steven Garrity