Evolution auto user setup

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Apr 15 05:04:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, David Malcolm wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 14:27 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
>> Was curious if anyone has seen/used any kind of auto-setup scripts for
>> large amounts of users.  I have a couple of hundred pine/mutt users that
>> I intend to move over to evolution sooner rather than later.
>>
>> I would like to create their email accounts automatically, and not have
>> to setup each one seperately as they login.
>>
>> Sean
>
> I've written some Python scripts to make it easier to work with
> Evolution's configuration information, in the hope of automating mass
> deployments of Evolution.
[...]
> I've tested this, and had it working for an Evolution 2.0 deployment.  I
> suspect the approach will break under some circumstances, and with
> different versions of Evolution.  Comments and patches welcome.

Hey, this and Mark's LDAP gconf backend are a really nice start. What's
currently missing for my environment is PERSONALIZE_SERVERNAME as there
are god-knows-how-many different servers around the company.

It's possible to get the server name from AD by ldap query but it's in
format like this:
"msExchHomeServerName: /O=foo/OU=bar/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=<server>"
..where <server> is the real name of the server.

Maybe it'd be possible/worth adding support for that in the LDAP backend?
Somehow I doubt I'm the only one surrounded by Exchange servers, whether
we like it or not :)

 	- Panu -