Synaptic Package Manager Output

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jan 17 16:57:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

> man, 17.01.2005 kl. 00.42 skrev Dotan Cohen:
> >  While updating with Synaptic I got the message:
> >
> > While installing package bind-9.2.4-2:
> > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libMagick.so.6.0.7.#prelink#.OLoyQ7 is
> > empty, not checked.
> > While installing package hal-0.4.5-1.FC3:
> > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libMagick.so.6.0.7.#prelink#.OLoyQ7 is
> > empty, not checked.
> > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libMagick.so.6.0.7.#prelink#.OLoyQ7 is
> > empty, not checked.
> > While installing package gimp-2.2.2-0.fc3.2:
> > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libMagick.so.6.0.7.#prelink#.OLoyQ7 is
> > empty, not checked.
> > [Invalid UTF-8] Could not parse file
> > '/usr/share/applications/alc.desktop': desktop entry contain line
> > 'Comment[fr]=Cr\xe9ateur de liens ed2k d'aMule' which is not UTF-8
> > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libMagick.so.6.0.7.#prelink#.OLoyQ7 is
> > empty, not checked.
> > While installing package vim-minimal-6.3.054-0.fc3.1:
> > warning: /etc/vimrc created as /etc/vimrc.rpmnew
> >
> > I am new to linux and see this as an opportunity to learn a little more
> > about my system. i could not find anything on the apt website that
> > explains what these mean (are they errors or warnings or just
> > unimportant info), and nothing in google.
> >
> > Could someone lend me some insight to what all this is? Or better yet, a
> > link that has more in-depth info? Thanks

This is in no way related to the synaptic package itself.

First of all you seem to have problems with prelink. (leftover #prelink#
files)

Secondly, some package also added /usr/share/applications/alc.desktop
which has problems on its own. It seems to be something related to aMule.
You can find the culprit by doing:

	rpm -qif /usr/share/applications/alc.desktop

And send the packager a mail with your output.

The last message is related to the vim package and, just like the other
messages, is harmless (but annoying at least).

> While talking about synaptic - i updated to a newer (fc2) version
> (0.55.3) recently from a third party repo (Dag Wieers) - and UTF-8 was
> horribly broken. Norwegian ÆØÅ was totaly scrambled in the GUI.

Well, I cannot comment on Norwegian being broken :) Synaptic works fine
here and you're the first to report this (which does not prove a thing,
but may be an indication). You may want to report this upstream, they may
have heard of similar problems.

> I know Dag is on this list, so im just mentioning it so he can get it
> fixed :)

Actually I'm not on this list, but a little bird told me about this thread
:) I know am on this list, but don't expect me to read all mails from now
on. If you want to report something, include me. Or if you see someone
reporting something that should be addressed to me too, forward it.

Thanks in advance !

> But the new version in general looked great!

Do mention that to the synaptic developers when you report the UTF problem ! :)

Kind regards,