the 'failsafe' session

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Jan 23 19:49:21 UTC 2005

Gene C. wrote:

>On Thursday 20 January 2005 00:10, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>

>>So, this came up as a sidepoint in another bug.
>>
>>Say, you're a user, your mouse isn't working. You try and
>>log into a failsafe session to fix it.
>>
>>You're now screwed because:
>>
>>a) if you start an app, it may not have focus
>>b) there's no keysequence to change focus, unless you're an X guru
>>
>>Is this a situation we really care about? What do we expect
>>people to use the failsafe session for, in practice

Only situation when I run a failsafe session is when I want to run a way
too heavy application for the amount of RAM on the system (Doom3 for
instance), so I leave completely out the overhead GNOME or KDE or even
XFCE could have in the system... Other applications besides games can
benefit from the extra memory, like visualization software or
simulations. Other instance when you may be forced to use such graphical
shell is if you for some obscure reason your session would not work, and
you still can use graphical tools to trouble shoot why isn't your
regular session working... Just a thought... though you can always rely
on the old trusty VT TTYs.