firewire hotplugging

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Wed Jan 26 19:13:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 21:08 +0100, Florian Idelberger wrote:
> Hi everybody, I'm running fc3 quite successful and am very happy with
> it. However, shortly after the fresh install firewire hotplugging
> started working, and I can't even mount my disks by hand because there
> is no /dev/sda<n> created. So I finally came around to look after it but
> without success so far, and this is what I get in my system log:
>
> > Jan 25 21:03:06 localhost kernel: ieee1394: Error parsing configrom for node 0-01:1023
> > Jan 25 21:03:07 localhost kernel: ieee1394: Error parsing configrom for node 0-00:1023

These messages might be harmless (at least, I'm also seeing them and
firewire works mostly fine here).

Check if the sbp2 module is loaded:
$ lsmod | grep sbp2

If not, load it manually (keep an eye on /var/log/messages):
$ sudo modprobe sbp2

The recent kernels are very picky about module options, so if you have
any set in /etc/modprobe.conf ("serialize_io=1" is very common), make
sure they're spelled out correctly and without any trailing spaces.

Also, you might try experimenting with when the disk is turned on (prior
to or after the system is brought up).

Hope that helps,
--
Ziga