NVIDIA graphic drivers

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Thu Jan 27 12:04:02 UTC 2005

ons 2005-01-26 klockan 22:08 +0000 skrev kristabs at os.lv:
> Hello! I just about week ago installed my first GNU/Linux operating system and
> it was Feodora Core 3. I am glad i chose this one, everything is working
> properly and i have installed every application i needed, but only one thing
> left - Graphic drivers.
> *My graphic card - NVIDIA GeeForce MX 4000 64 MB
> I tried NVIDIA drivers i found on www.nvidia.com and it didn`t work out. I
> downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run and quited X desktop and run
> VIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run with sh command from bash with parameter
> kernel name and it started to install but i received error and when i booted X
> desktop and tried to run application that need graphical accelerate i recieved
> an error -  Couldn't initialize video: Couldn't find matching GLX visual. I
> can`t find out a different way to install a drivers for my graphic card. Sorry
> if this is lame, but i just started to use GNU/Linux and i am newb still at this
> moment in
> Linux.

I probably should advertise in this thread: rpm.livna.org packages the
Nvidia drivers for Fedora, in a very user-friendly format. Here's how
you install it:

1. Make sure you have the Livna repositories configured in yum. The most
recent driver version resides in testing, the older one in stable.
2. Run "yum install nvidia-glx".
3. Restart X.

It takes care of all your configuration and little udev/modprobe hacks
and whatnot. No init 3, running scripts, compiling stuff. When there's a
new kernel released, you run "yum install kernel-module-nvidia-$(uname -
r)" to install the corresponding kernel module. It also comes with a
little init script that disables the nvidia driver if you happen to boot
a kernel with no nvidia module, so that X will run just fine with the
x.org driver.

/Peter