Is printing a desktop issue?

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jan 28 23:20:59 UTC 2005

Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

>OSX - i have seen somebody printing to a fc printer server (ok, it was
>running proprietary filters... LEXMARK laser printers.... GRR!) from OSX
>word, (the printer was picked up autmatically as long as it was able to
>resolve the DNS... But every single one of them was named "created by
>system-config-printer".... Oops!). And the 1 page with "hello, test!"
>was 20 pages of binary rabble....

I've also seen MacOSX prin to both a FreeBSD print server running CUPS
and a Linux (Red Hat 9) server running CUPS too... That was at my
university. I think you would need to install some CUPS modules to OSX
in order to successfully use it... I'll try to ask the IT who set that
up at the university and see how did he got it running.