No epiphany icon in FC4 -- and it won't take one --

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 13 15:44:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:01:31 -0500, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> Yes, and this does not happen exclusively with Epiphany. It pretty much
> happens when you have an icon "outside" the scope of your currently used
> icon theme (I know 'cause I use a custom one). Even though many
> applications icons are in place in my current theme, there's quite a bit
> of them missing (like Amarok, for instance...) I found that I had to add
> the inherited icon theme I wanted to use for some icons too (I'm
> currently using a Mac-esque  icon theme, and I had to inherit the
> crystal icon theme too).

I'm not sure I understand "inherit" in this context. I did say, I think,
that the machine in question is one that I upgraded from FC1 to FC4 -- and
should have said, if I didn't, that everything including the icon was
normal before the upgrade. So I should have inherited -- if I understand
aright.

> Sure enough the panel would complaint about not having an icon available
> for the launcher, that file was missing and such and such. I wonder why
> is the file not being seen when it fells outside the scope of you
> currently used icons theme, unless you inherit the icon (or link the
> icon you want into your theme's expected directory, like
> /usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/48x48/apps/).

To judge from the error box I get, FC4 seems to expect it to be in
/usr/share/icons/gnome rather than the one above, where it is.

> At least there's a bugzilla now about it.

Oh good. By yourself? Thank you for that. I can't seem to get my head
around bugzilla for some reason ....

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;