No epiphany icon in FC4 -- and it won't take one --

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 12 16:30:11 UTC 2005

On a machine otherwise successfully upgraded from FC1 to FC4 (now that I
have the proper yum.conf, thanks to this list), I am unable to put the
proper icon onto the launcher for Epiphany 1.6.1 (upgraded from 1.0.8
under FC1 -- where it did have the icon).

epiphany.png is available from
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/epiphany/ -- I got a copy, saved it
to my home directory, and copied it from there as root into three or four
other files.

FC4 has at least five files with launcher icons :

/usr/share/icons/*
/usr/share/images/*
/usr/share/emoticons/* (which has other things, too)
/usr/share/epiphany/art (where epiphany.png oughtta be, no? It wasn't.
/usr/share/pixmaps/*

-- and various other folders have a few each, much like ~/epiphany/art.

I copied the saved image into both /usr/share/icons and
/usr/share/pixmaps, because I know the ones that show up when you
right-click on a browser icon may come at least from those, and also into
~/epiphany/art.

(I haven't been able to guess how FC4 chooses where to offer icons from; I
had to jump through hoops to get the Big Red Lizard onto Mozilla ...)

Then I tried right-clicking on Properties for the current icon I had
stopping the epiphany gap, and then on the icon. Sure enough, the array it
showed me now included epiphany.png. It let me highlight it, and put it in
the Properties box.

BUT when I closed that, I got an error box saying "Failed to load image
epiphany.png. Details: Icon not found." And sure enough, the browser
drawer is showing the orange question mark again -- even though, when I
open the Properties box by right-clicking on that, it shows *not* the
mark, but epiphany.png!

Aaarrrghghghghg.....

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;