No epiphany icon in FC4 -- and it won't take one -- UPDATE

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 13 15:02:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:00:03 +0200, Nils Breunese wrote:

> Have you tried reinstalling epiphany? Something like 'rpm -e epiphany;
> yum install epiphany'? I don't use epiphany myself, so I can't tell you
> any more about this, but I guess the rpm should install the proper icon.
> 'rpm -ql epiphany' gives you a list of all files contained in the
> epiphany package, is the icon in that list? (maybe grep for png or
> something.)

All right, that seemed the simplest of the three suggestions so far; so I
tried it first. Neither 'rpm -ql epiphany' nor that command piped into
'grep .png' or 'grep epiphany.png' gets anything, before or after 'rpm -e
epiphany' followed by 'yum install epiphany' However,
/usr/share/epiphany/art is still there, or back -- and still does not
contain epiphany.png, though it does contain seven other .png files.

Might it be missing from the rpm for epiphany for FC4?

The actual icon is still in the drawer and on the Properties box from
the icon in the drawer, even after removing and re-installing epiphany.

It is not in the Internet list under the Main Menu, though the
name Epiphany is. Right-clicking there and clicking Properties (I *think*
that's what I did) gets an error box with a message saying "Failed to
open file '/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/web-browser.png': No such
file or directory"

That last is *very* odd -- /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/ contains folders
named devices, emblems, filesystems, and mimetypes (each full of icons) --
but no apps folder at all!

Should I create an apps folder there, and put epiphany.png in it?? Under
its own name, or renamed, or both?

I also tried telling the GUI search function to find web-browser.png in
the filesystem. That got 22 hits, with three variations on the name :
redhat-web-browser.png, icon-web-browser.png, and plain web-browser.png.
Of the 22, one is in /usr/share/pixmaps, and the rest in four subfolders
of /usr/share/icons : two in hicolor, two in files of the form
HighContrastLarge<...>, six in crystalsvg/<....>, and ten in BlueCurve/<...>

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;