No epiphany icon in FC4 -- and it won't take one --

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Wed Jul 13 18:19:45 UTC 2005

ons 2005-07-13 klockan 11:24 -0400 skrev beartooth:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:49:19 +0200, Peter Backlund wrote:
>
> >> epiphany.png is available from
> >> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/epiphany/ -- I got a copy, saved it
> >> to my home directory, and copied it from there as root into three or four
> >> other files.
> >
> > That icon is included with FC4, it's called web-browser.png:
> >
> > /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/web-browser.png
>
> Sure enough, so it is -- under that name, only, and not under the name
> epiphany.png
>
> > It's part of the gnome-icon-theme package. The Epiphany launcher uses
> > that icon by default, so you should be able to just drag the launcher
> > from the menu to the panel. Maybe you need to delete the old launcher
> > and re-add it?
>
> That's effectively what I did with the one I have -- in the drawer on the
> panel. Can I, and should I, also drag it to the Internet list under the
> Main Menu? If so, how? It did nothing when I tried it directly; covered
> one whole panel with iterations of the icon when I inadvertently dragged
> it to a panel; and refused to be dragged, with a permission error box,
> when I tried just dragging it out onto the desktop.

I'm not sure I follow...from the beginning:

1. Do you have an Epiphany icon (launcher) in the main menu under
Internet (you should, if epiphany is installed in FC4)?

2. Are you able to add it to the panel by dragging it from the main
menu?

3. If yes on 1 and 2, what is the problem? If no, you've likely hit an
upgrade bug in the Gnome settings.

> It did let me copy it, rather than drag it, onto the desktop; but I still
> can't find a way to put it onto the menu next to the name.
>

> > That sounds strange, perhaps you need to manually update the gtk icon
> > cache. Run gtk-update-icon-cache as root. But you really shouldn't have
> > to put the icon there in the first place, the Epiphany launcher in the
> > main menu already uses the icon you want.
>
> OK : I get
>
> [root at localhost ~]# gtk-update-icon-cache
> [root at localhost ~]#

It updates the icon cache. More info in man gtk-update-icon-cache. If it
works correctly, nothing is printed to stdout (the terminal).

/Peter