Make consolehelper more liske sudo?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Mar 3 21:01:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 03:31:13PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> I don't think many of the system-config apps are "end user desktop"
> stuff at all. What needs to be fixed [1] though is at least printing,
> sound, display, software installation, date/time and network. Right now,
> in the default install, this requires the root password. I think that
> was the bug Havoc talked about.

I don't consider date/time to be "end user". That should be managed through
ntp, which shouldn't be just tweaked at the whim of whoever sits down at the
box. (Setting the *user's* timezone is a different issue.)

Display, sound, and local printing should Just Work, and network where
possible. I'll not touch the details of printer configuration right now. :)

Software installation *definitely* needs some sort of authentication and
special privilege. Sure, this needs to be made so it's not intimidating, but
we also shouldn't shoot ourselves in the head.