Make consolehelper more liske sudo?

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Thu Mar 3 20:31:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 15:02 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 02:34:51PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>> All this "end user desktop" stuff that requires root I consider a bug
>> btw, if you want to file a bugzilla for the individual items that would
>> be helpful. If you get NOTABUG/WONTFIX from someone at Red Hat let me
>> know and I'll tell them they are wrong.
>
>I wouldn't want just anyone to have the ability to run many of the
>system-config apps just because they're sitting at the console, though. What
>do you think about making the UGROUPS=wheel thing the default? (Or some
>other group like "admin"....)

I don't think many of the system-config apps are "end user desktop"
stuff at all. What needs to be fixed [1] though is at least printing,
sound, display, software installation, date/time and network. Right now,
in the default install, this requires the root password. I think that
was the bug Havoc talked about.

David

[1] : here fixed can also mean replaced with something that more, uhm,
      suitable for desktop use - look at NetworkManager for an example