X crashes when using a new monitor

Douglas Furlong fedora-lists at dark-hill.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 18:15:10 UTC 2005

----- Message from kyrre at solution-forge.net ---------    Date: Mon, 07
Mar 2005
18:51:56 +0100    From: Kyrre Ness Sjobak <kyrre at solution-forge.net>Reply-To:
Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop
<fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com> Subject: Re: X crashes when using a new
monitor      To: Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop
<fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com>

> man, 07.03.2005 kl. 16.40 skrev Benjamin Jiang:
>> Douglas Furlong wrote:
>>
>> > ----- Message from bjiang_ee at yahoo.ca ---------    Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005
>> > 09:53:59 -0500    From: Benjamin Jiang <bjiang_ee at yahoo.ca>Reply-To:
>> > Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop
>> > <fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com> Subject: Re: X crashes when using a new
>> > monitor      To: Jon Savage <jonathansavage at gmail.com>, Discussions about
>> > development for the Fedora desktop <fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com>

>> > When booting in to run level 3, log in as either a non privaliged
>> > user, or as
>> > root and running "startx", if X still crashes you should get some
>> > output in the
>> > terminal.
>> >
>> > Also look through the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, as that will have some
>> > more
>> > information that may help us to help you.
>> >
>> > Doug
>> >
>> Doug, I pasted Xorg.0.log at the end of the first email I sent out.
>>
>> But, here is it again anyway:
>> Xorg.0.log:
>>

> My experience is that if X sends the wrong sync to a monitor, all that
> happens is that the monitor shows a borked picture, or nothing at all
> exept an error message. X doesn't crash...

My expearience is slightly different.

If X fails to start due to refresh rate issues, then it will fail to
start, not
"crash" just will stop trying to load.

However this error seems to suggest that it did "crash".

It could be due to a damaged hard disk in transit? Causing a problem with some
of the libraries?

--
Douglas Furlong
ICQ: 7574077