[OT] RE: Being denied my own files!

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 11 10:20:44 UTC 2005

Besides being off-topic (fedora-list would be on-topic for this
question), ...

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 17:12 -0800, Miller, Marc wrote:
> In order to delete the file, you must:
> * have write access to the file

no. I can delete root-owned files in my directories even if I don't have
any rights on the files themselves.

> * have write access to the directory
> * the sTicky bit (chmod +t) must not be set on the directory (sTicky is
> rare)

No. The sticky bit on a directory specifies that contrary to the above
only file owners can delete their files, handy for world-writable
directories like /tmp and /dev/shm.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com