Do yum and up2date play nice?

Jon Savage jonathansavage at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 00:52:18 UTC 2005

> been running both yum nightly updates and up2date (on three FC1 PCs and an
> FC2 PC). Someone recommended synaptic, and I installed that. Now when I
> invoke it, it gives me an error message about duplicate packages ; and
> when I look, sure enough, there are two -- with slightly different indicia.
>
> Will keeping both really make trouble? It looks like synaptic will let me..
<SNIP>
FWIW you are taken care of adaquately by just running yum, it will
gracefully update anything that needs updating from Core, Extras and
any "other" repos assuming you have properly configured it to do so.
There is a possiblity that some of the other repos packages may
conflice with Core/Extras (YMMV). As far as the duplicate rpms go
keeping the newest version of each and doing rpm -e foo on the older
of each pair should suffice.
Bests,
JS