To play CD Rom on Fedora

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Sep 9 00:18:12 UTC 2005

Usually, Fedora will asign a symbolic link to your actual device
(/dev/hdc, in your case) named /dev/cdrom, regardless of the type of
optical drive you have, if you have a DVD burner for instance (like in
my case) you may have actually three links pointing to /dev/hdc:
/dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd and /dev/cdwriter, all pointing to the same
device.  That usually is enough. Now if you are using GNOME and you are
not getting any sound off your CD-Rom, even when it is reading, you may
have a problem with the analogue connection between the drive and the
sound card. Unlike KCD or other media players, GNOME's CD player uses
the analogue connection between the drive and the sound card, rather
than Dgital Sound extration method (like KCD or Windows Media Player,
for that matter). I also use GNOME as my primary Desktop environment
(don't like much KDE), but usually find myself using KCD for CD playback
(as well as AmaroK for media player [.mp3, .ogg, .wma, etc]). You can
use both GNOME and KDE applications in either.