Add/Remove Software Utility

Steve Barnhart stb52988 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:31:31 UTC 2006

perhaps I'm the only one but doesn't pirut (I believe its called), the
software installer seem a little "kidish" w/regard to the gui? There's
definately nothing wrong with it being easy like that but I feel a
less "crowded" gui w/out the kiddish-looking big buttons and such
would make Fedora look more professional.

On 8/10/06, Rick Stuart <stuart.cr at gmail.com> wrote:

>  First, I will say that I did take another look at the package manager and
> yes it does list all installed and available apps from all my repos. The
> search tool works just like "yum list | grep [whatever]" which is nice. The
> 'Big List Button" generates a list that I could see might be imposing to a
> user, but if you have the viewpoint that users should not be installing
> software (I agree in a corporate environment) then who cares, right?
>
>  Rahul Said:
>  Generally users can install packages from groups which is provided as the
> primary interface or search and install any package they want. If they do
> want to list all the packages, then yes the choice might be intimidating to
> them. Do you have any suggestions to improve the user interface?
>
>  I think the checks are a good way of showing what is installed.  Not sure
> why there are two checks though.  It is very straight forward to click on
> the apps to install.
>
>  I would suggest putting a search box on the list window.  I found that you
> can type the first few letters of the app in and it goes to that vicinity in
> the list which some people seem to like.  A search box could also find key
> words in the description.  Combining the search a list windows would make
> sense.  You could do it like Thunderbird's "subject or Sender" search works.
>  Type in a keyword and only items with that keyword show.  Click the X and
> the entire list comes back in view.
>
>  Next, I would like to know where the app listed is coming from.  If I have
> a lot of repos set up, I might care.  Also, I would like to know if there
> was more than one repo offering a particular RPM, but I never tried that
> with yum....  A new radio button that would sort by repo or source would be
> cool.  At least showing the source in a column on the list would be useful.
> I like that in the list function in yum.
>
>  Also, in keeping with other discussions about user privileges and software.
>  Something we do with a tool called Marimba on the windows world is to
> provide a list of apps that the user can install with other available apps
> grayed out.  To get access to the grayed out apps, they must make a request,
> but that way they can look to see if they exist on the YUM inventory.
>
>  Any chance of sorting the apps by logical groups?  Sort of like the package
> view, but with everything in the list.  I have not seen anything in the yum
> outputs that could be used to do that, but wouldn't it be cool.
>
> --

Steve