Add/Remove Software Utility

Rahul sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Aug 10 22:55:54 UTC 2006

> Like I said, I like the CLI.  The user community I work with,
> (corporately and around my neighborhood) does not do CLI.  RTFM is not
> an answer for them.

By this definition all the command line tool sucks. There is no need to
single out Yum I guess.

> Click the big "List" button.
>

> First, I will say that I did take another look at the package manager
> and yes it does list all installed and available apps from all my
> repos.  The search tool works just like "yum list | grep [whatever]"
> which is nice.   The 'Big List Button" generates a list that I could see
> might be imposing to a user, but if you have the viewpoint that users
> should not be installing software (I agree in a corporate environment)
> then who cares, right?

Generally users can install packages from groups which is provided as
the primary interface or search and install any package they want. If
they do want to list all the packages, then yes the choice might be
intimidating to them.  Do you have any suggestions to improve the user
interface?

> All told, after looking at it again, I have no problem with pointing
> users at the package manger except that I REALLY don't want them using
> the root password.  Perhaps when PolicyKit can help there, but I think
> the user should be challenged for his password rather than just get in
> to package manager.

Yes. PolicyKit after its integrated with the rest of the system should
help here.

Rahul