usability: unplugged ethernet cable on an office desktop

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Aug 15 16:33:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 07:50 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> My point was that we don't yet do this by default which means the
> concerns still apply to any default case for Fedora.

Perhaps what the world needs is a derived Fedora Core distribution
tailored for the desktop. Same packages [1], few patches [2], just
different behaviour out of the box more suited for the desktop.

Certainly a lot easier trying to explain the powers that be ... things
like it's easier for servers admins to

 chkconfig --level 345 network on
 chckonfig --level 345 NetworkManager off

instead of asking people installing a desktop to do

 chkconfig --level 345 network off
 chckonfig --level 345 NetworkManager on

as the latter category of people is not really UNIX savy.

Doing a derived distro for the desktop would allow us to care more about
the desktop without wasting time educating other stake holders in Fedora
that we need this or that change for the desktop to work well.

Maybe the desktop needs a break from the rest of the distro. Just a
thought.

    David

[1] : well, all the daily crob jobs like updatedb etc. plus much more
would have to go :-)

[2] : maybe that glibc patch to reread /etc/resolv.conf so we don't have
to run bind for NetworkManager in the default install :-)