usability: unplugged ethernet cable on an office desktop

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Aug 15 16:56:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 22:10 +0530, Rahul wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > [1] : well, all the daily crob jobs like updatedb etc. plus much more
> > would have to go :-)
>
> Not very relevant to larger idea of a derived distro which might very
> well be a good thing to try but we dont run updatedb cron by default for
> a while now.

Well, I'm aware of that, but the script is still installed with tons of
other stuff that we don't need on a modern desktop [1]. There's so many
things we have right now that we don't need in a desktop distro.

For example, the very idea of using anaconda to install the OS is just
wrong in 2006. The way you want to do this (and Ubuntu is doing this
already) is clearly to have a bootable CD with a "Install OS to hard
disk" icon that does what you want. Nothing more, nothing less.

This, and tons of other things e.g. krh's plymouth stuff, is not
something I personally want to try in the context of Fedora - I'd much
rather spend my time working on the bits to actually enable this (and I
am) rather than argue with the powers that be what the implications of
doing this is for arcane platforms like ia64 or s390 :-)

    David

[1] : sure, servers or the UNIX people might need it. They can just
install Fedora or, who knows, maybe a derived distro tailored for
them :-)