usability: unplugged ethernet cable on an office desktop

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Aug 15 18:22:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 19:43 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
>  I was completely unable to perform
> the some what simple task of setting up my two 400gig drives in a RAID,
> let alone up LVM on top of that. Sure that could be added but we have
> that in a perfectly fine form within Anaconda already.

The really funny thing is that I agree that Anaconda excels at this
point. However, it's really way beyond me why this great functionality
is restricted to install time only. Why can't I do RAID and LVM easily
from the desktop to setup external drives?

(Sure, you can say system-config-lvm is one answer for LVM at least but
that leaves RAID out of the question.)

That's why I started writing a Disk Utility for GNOME - the plan is for
it to work much like Mac OS X's Disk Uility and also do RAID / LVM,
here's a very early screenshot

 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-2.png

It uses HAL and PolicyKit so we'll also get out of that "run X11 apps as
root" trap plus once we teach HAL about RAID / LVM we can add options to
g-v-m such as

 [ ] Assemble RAID arrays when hotplugged
 [ ] Set up Logical Volumes when hotplugged

etc. etc.

    David