Fedora Artwork

M Daniel R Magarzo b2.mdr.magarzo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:57:11 UTC 2006

El vie, 11-08-2006 a las 17:48 -0400, Jeffrey D. Yuille escribió:
> Steve Barnhart wrote:
> > I personally do not prefer the "bubbly" theme introduced in recent
> > versions of Fedora and am not immediately fond of the artwork path the
> > Fedora team seems to be taking. To me it seems to be departing away
> > from the regular/old redhat-artwork team which imo is a bad thing. I
> > liked bluecurve when it first came out and many people did, but in any
> > way it did create A LOT of attention onto Redhat. It was a nice and
> > professional theme and still looks pretty good today except for the
> > use of grey and "blah" buttons.
> >
> > The icon theme though is still nice and the artwork (GDm theme, splash
> > screen etc.) shown in RHEL4 is more of the kind of stuff I would like
> > to see instead of the "kiddish" kind of look Fedora seems to be taking
> > on. I believe many want a professional looking distro and
> > Redhat/Fedora was/is that and I would like if perhaps we could take
> > some different directions in the artwork again, perhaps more in tune
> > to what RHEL team does. I have looked at the new icon theme (Echo) and
> > I think I like it and I even like the Bluecurve GDM theme shipped
> > w/FC5 as well as the splash screen for GNOME. Its the bubbily/light
> > blue theme and such that is in the new release that I do not like.
> > Hopefully we can discuss this more.
> >
> Amen to that, I like the old themes in FC4, FC3, etc.  Why the
> maintainers decided to depart from that, I have no idea.
>
> Jeff

Amen too.
At home those fc5 themes & splashes are known as fedora "champagne" :-p
I also agree with that idea about its new look, it is a lot childish in
my opinion, for sure proper to animate the decoration's sky in a music
"festival", the walls of a kindergarten, etc...
Sorry, but I've upgraded to fc5 (from fc4) recently, so maybe I am still
under "shock".
I wouldn't like to be disrespectful with the team in charge at all but
one of the first things I did when customizing the new install was to
take away the /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz file replacing it for a previous
one, install gnome-themes-extra pack, change to a bluecurve theme,
choose a more serious background, gnome-themes, etc...
But mine it's just an single opinion -there are millions of colours, so
there are millions of tastes.

Regards