A sound or music when your desktop is starting?

Rahul sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Aug 17 22:10:37 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:

> I take it you haven't been in cubical hell when someone hasn't turned
> his builtin speakers off and the Windows startup sound goes off - or in
> class when the same thing happens.

Working on odd timings like 4 AM in the morning has the advantage that
there is noone around to complain about sounds ;-)

> Artwork doesn't generally annoy passersby, collegues or classmates,
> sound can very easily.

Right, which is why I noted that the default sound set shouldnt be jazzy.

> Now I'm in no way against showing off by assembling some cool packages
> of sounds that we can do it, but by default I'd prefer silence.

The problem with just shipping sounds but not enabling them is that end
users wouldnt stumble upon this feature easily.