A sound or music when your desktop is starting?

hackmiester (Hunter Fuller) hackmiester at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 15:16:26 UTC 2006

On 17 August 2006, at 16:46, Rahul wrote:

> The same can be said about artwork for example. That by itself isnt
> a good argument.
>
> We would only "force" sounds as much as we force a wallpaper or a
> window manager theme on everyone.

Well, people will think something's missing if you have no wallpaper,
and you certainly have to have a window manager theme!!

> Without good (defined as not being too long, jazzy etc) default
> sounds this particular functionality wouldnt even be realized by
> the user.

True.

> I for one wouldnt mind seeing a few different sound themes
> available in Fedora Core with one of them enabled by default.

Yes. I like Mac OS X' occasional subtle sounds. They are quite quiet
(say that 15 times fast!) and unobtrusive - a crumpling paper when
you empty the trash, a whoosh when you send mail, etc... I think
subtle would be the way to go, so people know that the functionality
exists, but don't deafen/scare them. :)