GNOME Vs KDE upgradeability.

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 06:25:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 00:00 -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

>     So I still don't quite grasp why *exactly* is GNOME so much more
> complex in comparison to KDE, or why does it has so many components
> "broken-out" into smaller packages, which in turn seem to be exactly
> what holds back GNOME from inclusion of newer versions to the
> distribution... In this sense, it would seem as if GNOME's modularity
> was its Achilles' ankle, for upgrades in a current Fedora/Red Hat
> release, anyway.

It is not *that* much more complex to build all of gnome, although there
are some packages lower in the stack which may have tight dependencies
on newish kernels, like hal. It took me ~1.5 days to get the recent
2.13.90 release of Gnome into rawhide.

It is more a result of limited resources, which we prefer to spend on
the next release, rather than the previous one...

Matthias