GNOME Vs KDE upgradeability.

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Sat Feb 4 19:09:40 UTC 2006

You fail to see that major development in GNOME itself is done by the
desktop team at Red Hat.  GNOME is heavily dependent on the whole stack
of technologies that make up the OS.  Moving from one version to the
next means new dependencies on lower layer technologies such as HAL, D-
BUS and others.  Not to mention all the SE-Linux changes that would need
to be made.  Sure we could ship a new version without these tight
dependencies but then you often lose functionality or bugs pop up from
interactions that we would not have time to test.  We prefer to leave
older version stable with bug fixes and leave development to happen in
Rawhide with stabilization happening right before a new release.  Put it
this way, we could spend our time constantly updating GNOME in older
releases and chasing down regressions or we can build new functionality
to compete with other OS's.

This doesn't preclude someone from going out and building an alternative
repository for GNOME updates on older versions of Fedora.