Proposing a switch to Tango

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 21:33:42 UTC 2006

Hi list

I would like to propose replacing the bluecurve icon theme with
tango[1]. There are a number of good reasons for doing this.

1. Tango implements the icon naming standard, a desirable improvement
over the current mess. Eventually this should mean that icons apply
univerisally, be that in Firefox, OpenOffice, KDE or GNOME.

2. Tango is a near complete icon set with a clear design style - this is
means we get a consistent experience through out the interface
regardless of the DE. Not only independent of DE but consistent between
the icons themselves.

3. Tango is actively developed by paid developers and the community, it
would be more worthwhile to contribute to this effort than continue to
produce Bluecurve on our own.

4. Branding using icons is counterproductive to switching between
distros, if we adopt the same standard icons as used in Foresight,
OpenSuSE and many others (and I understand Ubuntu might be switching to
Tango in Dapper+1), it would be increasingly easy for users to adopt
Fedora as the interface is similar.

In conclusion, switching to Tango makes sense from an investment return
POV, a user experience POV and it's an easy transistion. I would like to
propose that the switch be done with the beginning of the FC6
development cycle.

Kind Regards

David Nielsen

[1] www.tango-project.org
--
Obligatory shameless blog plug - the GNOME commentary located at:
www.lovesunix.net/blog