Multiple gnome sessions/panels on console and on VNC

Eli Barzilay eli at barzilay.org
Tue Nov 28 20:22:36 UTC 2006

Starting gnome-session in a VNC session is impossible if it's already
running on the console.

I can run gnome-panel on the VNC session, but that has lots of
problems -- for example, the desktop switcher refuses to appear in the
VNC session, and a panel that I have on the bottom-right corner of the
(1024x768) screen in the VNC session makes the same panel on the (much
bigger) console screen hop over to the same position which is now in
the middle of the screen.

I've even gave up on any useful corner panel (reverted to the ancient
Sawfish pager thingy instead) -- and there are still an annoying
problem: every time the VNC session is closed, the panel is trying to
resurrect itself on the console, which leads to an error dialog that
there's a pannel there allready -- and requires clicking OK about 120
times for it to go away.

Is there any sane way to use Gnome on both my console and a separate
VNC session?

(I don't believe that I'm the only one left that is crazy enough to
have two sessions running on a single machine...)