New Fedora GTK Theme

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Nov 16 14:27:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 15:19 +0100, Andrea Cimitan wrote:
> Il giorno Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:03:16 -0500
> Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> ha scritto:
>
> > Some more comments before I move on to something else:
> >
> > - It would be much more readable to use enumeration and named values
> >   in the rc files rather than cryptic integers:
> >
> >         glazestyle = 1 # 0 = flat hilight, 1 = curved hilight, 2 =
> > concave style
> >         menubarstyle = 2 # 0 = flat, 1 = glassy, 2 = gradient, 3 =
> > striped
> >         menubaritemstyle = 0 # 0 = menuitem look, 1 = button look
> >         menuitemstyle = 0 # 0 = flat, 1 = glassy, 2 = striped
> >         listviewheaderstyle = 0 # 0 = flat, 1 = glassy
> >         roundness = 5 # 0 = squared, 1 = old default, more will
> > increase roundness
> >
> Murrine Configurator is solving this problem.
> 95% of users use Configurator to Configure their themes, so there's no
> problem related, and probably it will be a problem makin the opposite.
> I think that with strings people may write mistakes in typing and
> integers prevents this.

Honestly, I think you have your numbers wrong here. I'd expect it to be
more like 1% of users who would ever consider using a tool like the
configurator. And I disagree with the whole idea of having
engine-specific configuration tools. If anything, such things should be
part of a tweakui like tool that can handle multiple theme engines.

But for discussing a default theme, it is completely irrelevant. The
default theme must be good as is, no tweaking required.

> Another thing is that with "integer" i can make >= == <= comparations
> in the engine so i can enable/disable features in a simple way.

well, enum values are also integers when the arrive in the engine...

> > - While these knobs to tweak are certainly nice, the one thing that
> >   most people want to tweak in a theme are the colors. I would
> >   personally be much more interested in themes which make use of
> >   the new symbolic color mechanism in GTK+ 2.10 to create
> >   "recolorable" themes.
>
> When there will be a GUI (i.e. gnome 2.18 will probably features this)
> then I will certanly manage that improvement, even with you if you know
> how to manage it in the right way! :)

Yes, all I'm saying is that since we will have gnome 2.18 in FC7, it
would be good to consider symbolic colors now when discussing a new
default theme.

Matthias