Smaller menu space?

Is there a way to get the whole menu in a single entry point?
Something similar to the way it used to be back in the Good Old Days.

(I'm trying to minimize screen use on a small desktop, and I rarely
use the mouse so there's no use for wasting a quarter-screen-wide
portion of the panel on three labels.)