Fedora Community anbody?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 30 00:19:23 UTC 2006

Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> As things are today (see thread Re: directions in Fedora desktop
> project), it seems if users who want to contribute to Fedora but want to
> contribute would have to make a community version of the community
> project Fedora. I am not saying that I think that this sounds good or
> makes sense.

It doesnt. We already have hundreds of non Red Hat contributors in
Fedora and this is a constantly growing number.  The proposal to merge
core and extras is a important effort that would strongly move Fedora
more into the community front.

> Generally said  I would like a project that takes the software that
> Fedora has and built a community and distribution of its own. So this
> project would not have to follow any of the considerations that Red Hat
> or Fedora Board has ever taken. I would enable everybody to contribute,
> again. So something like Fedora Unity but with a different flavour and
> sure no Fedora in its name or logo, although following some Fedora paths
> in future development. As I have heard making branches of Fedora should
> become easier. Maybe this would be a choice?

The goals and benefits of such a fork is not very clear and unless those
are clearly stated, it would be difficult to gather any interest in such
a effort. Your only major contention about Fedora seems to from
misconceptions about the CLA which is a legal safety mechanism used by a
large number of Free software projects including Apache, Openoffice.org
etc[1]. We havent heard many complaints about the CLA itself but there
is some difficulties especially for non technical folks in the process
of signing a CLA and joining the various sub projects due to the
disconnected nature of these systems and there is a effort to fix that[2].

If you want to focus your efforts on a derivative distribution, there is
a large number of them already which you could contribute[3] and we are
working on creating tools such as Pilgrim and Pungi that would help the
community do this more easily[4]. So if indeed you would like to go this
route, the choice is already exercised very well.

Rahul

[1]https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2006-November/msg00081.html
[2]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit/OpenId
[3]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DerivedDistributions