directions in Fedora desktop project

Thilo Pfennig email at pfennigsolutions.de
Thu Nov 30 08:47:01 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram schrieb:
> Our current efforts on collecting metrics is not limited to the
> desktop and is not just a marketing effort. The particular list seems
> to be all about coordination between promoting desktop environments
> like GNOME, KDE etc which is important but doesnt seem very related to
> what we are trying to do here.
The motivation might be different, but it is all about collecting data:
How much instances of a distribution or desktop are installed and
actively used? Debian also tries to count data. If many distributions
would count in similar ways and many desktops also we also could put
this data in relation. All face the same problems in counting: What
about a Debian user using a Fedora X11-server via network? What about a
Fedora user using OpenSuse in Xen and accessing the internet? What about
people who dual-boot? There are many possibilities how to use Linux and
also there are many users who install a Linux distribution and never
come back to it (but could be counted as installed basis). I think it is
redundant if every desktop and every distribution is starting from
scratch to do analysis on its own.

At best one only can estimate usage and it only makes sense if you can
relate that data with other distributions. I think that the Fedora
statistics can be a starting point but that it would be important to
develop information strategy to make the best out of the data.

--
Thilo Pfennig
PfennigSolutions - Wiki-Systeme