Modern File Heirarchy

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 21:32:19 UTC 2006

On 9/2/06, Bryan Livingston <bryanlivingston at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize that this idea is pretty drastic and don't expect you to
> like the idea at first glance.  All I'm asking is that you give it
> some serious thought rather than shoot it down out of arrogance.

Take your earth shattering ideas over to the mailinglists which work
on the FHS if you are seriously interested in working with people to
change things as fundamental as the filesystem directory structure
naming.   Remember that part of Fedora's mission is to work WITH
upstream developers as much as possible.  If you and the gobolinux
people really think this is the wave of the future, put your best foot
forward and engage the people who control the FHS document.  I would
however caution you to use far less provocative and emotional a
writing style. And do your best to avoid such classically ironic
comments such as the above arrogant insinuation concerning the
arrogance of others.  I personally think it would be
quite...arrogant... for the Fedora leadership to make such a
fundamental change on the strength of your passionate, if there hasn't
been a discussion with the people driving the established filesystem
standardization process about your idea.

For reference, here is the page of interest concerning FHS discussions:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

-jef"english-centric views are so narrow-minded, so 20th century, so
decedent western society...if we are going to make a drastic change..
lets rename the filesystem in chinese"spaleta