Kadischi GUI : usability

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 19 14:19:12 UTC 2006

On 9/13/06, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> Maybe one question to ask is whether it makes sense to have a GUI at
> all? I mean, looking at your proposed UI, even though I suppose you
> tried hard, it contains all sort of information that only experienced
> Fedora users truly understands. And these are very likely to be capable
> of editing configuration or scripts.

Actually there is a meaning behind it, as you may have noticed behind
kadischi there is only JasperHartline and I. I'm trying to make a GUI
with simple features at first just to gain attention and attract more
contributors and testers of different archs. Recently I've posted a
Call for testing under 64 bit hardware but haven't got many
volunteers, so perhaps a gui might be user friendly.

> I guess, I'm saying that it's a bit like e.g. system-config-httpd or
> system-config-bind - a pretty UI that doesn't really do everything you
> want. And if you can make it do the things you want, it's usually much
> easier just to edit the files in shell.
> For example, what would happen if I'd want to configure other bits than
> the ones exposed in the UI? What if I want to make e.g. NetworkManager
> default? I'd say, just let users edit a script - that will give them
> much more freedom, to e.g. configure the system the way they want it.
>
> This is just what I think, however.

Indeed, at some point we can't satisfy everyone, but however if
someone wants to add such feature as your example, we would be happy
to perhaps include it. The more we get feedback the more it will make
things behind kadischi moving.

Chitlesh
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com